Protect Your Plants
After you have created your prime growing soil conditions, it is important to protect your plants with a minimum 3 inch layer of mulch. Our harsh winters, dry climate and changing weather have made mulching a necessity in Alberta. Here are the benefits and how to of mulching:
Advantages of Mulching
- Evens soil temperatures
- Reduces water evaporation and retains moisture
- Prevents weed growth
- Adds nutrients to the soil as it decays improving organic content of the soil
- Improves root density of developing trees
- Helps prevent erosion during heavy rains by holding soil in place
- Measure the area to be mulched. Enter the numbers into our Volume Calculator to obtain how many cubic yards are needed. We suggest an average depth of 3-4 inches for best results.
- Hand edge or boarder the bed or tree wells so that grass and weeds can't creep in. If the area has existing weeds or grass, apply a herbicide (for best results) or remove the weeds by hand. Wait 5-7 day to apply mulch.
- Apply a 2'' (top ups) to 4'' (new application) layer of mulch. Allow some space for the plant stem to move so that it does not rub on the mulch.
- Water the mulched area periodically over the next 2-3 days to help the mulch bond with the soil and keep it from blowing in heavy winds.
- As mulch decomposes, rake it to freshin it up. Mulch should be topped up when it gets below 3 inches. Make sure you are topped up in both the summer and winter to protect roots from damaging winds and harsh temperature changes.
- Try not to place mulch right up against the base of your trees, as this can cause the bark to rot.
- Coloured woodchips may leach some nitrogen from your soil until it begins to decompose. Use a fertilizer during the growing season in conjunction with coloured woodchips is recommended.
The Foundation of Every Landscape
Soil products are the foundation of every landscape; they shape our outdoor spaces and allow plants to grow. Use nutrient rich soils to promote healthy plant growth and a vibrant landscape.
View Soil Products